Do I have to wear a PSB approved helmet when riding in Singapore?
Yes, it is compulsory that you wear a TUV SUD PSB-approved helmet when riding on Singapore roads. Approved helmets can be identified by having a batch approval sticker on the helmet. There are many riders who are unaware or blatantly disregarding this requirement, thinking they would only be fined S$50 at most.
With the recent amendments to Road Traffic Act in 2019 and 2021, those who wear unapproved helmets could be jailed up to 3 months, fined up to S$1,000, or both. Repeat offenders could also be jailed for up to 6 months, fined up to S$2,000, or both.
Importers are expected to send their imported helmets for testing by PSB, even if the imported brand already complies with foreign standards like the Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) safety standard, US Department of Transportation (DOT) standard, etc. Sellers and importers of unapproved helmets could be jailed for up to 3 months, fined up to S$1,000, or both. Repeat offenders could also be jailed for up to 6 months, fined up to S$2,000, or both.
If you are planning to get a 72 JAM, ARAI, BILTWELL, FALCO, GPR, GREX, HARLEY-DAVIDSON, HJC, KISS, KYT, LS2, MT, NEXX, NOLAN, NOVA, PRO, SCHUBERTH, SHARK, SHOEI, VEMAR, X-LITE helmet, remember to check with the seller that their helmets are PSB approved.
Where can I buy PSB approved helmets?
We have compiled a list of reputable motorcycle helmet shops in Singapore for your reference below:
- Chiap Lee Co – (Bendemeer) 590 Serangoon Road, Singapore 218204
- Chong Aik International – (Jalan Besar) 45 Desker Road, Singapore 209576
- Helmet Boy – (Yishun) 439 Sembawang Road, Singapore 758400
- Kikstart – (Queenstown) 123 Bukit Merah Lane 1, #04-88, Singapore 150123
- Komoco Motorcycles / Harley-Davidson Singapore – (Queenstown) 253 Alexandra Road, #01-04, Singapore 159936
- Lim Ah Boy / Regina Specialties Parts & Accessories – (Jalan Besar) 152 Jalan Besar, #01-01 Coyuco Building, Singapore 208870
- Motoworld Singapore – (Kaki Bukit) 10 Kaki Bukit Road 1, #01-08 KB Industrial Building, Singapore 416175
- Motoworld Singapore – (Bendemeer) 117 Tyrwhitt Road, Singapore 207546
- Motorwerks – (Bukit Batok) 1 Bukit Batok Crescent, #09-46 WCEGA Plaza, Singapore 658064
- Regina Specialties Concept Store – (Jalan Besar) 35 Kelantan Lane, #01-01 Kim Hoe Point, Singapore 208652
Alternatively, you can also check on the marketplaces below for new or second-hand helmets: