What is Mid-Autumn Festival
Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节), also known as Mooncake Festival or Lantern Festival, is a traditional Chinese festival that dates back to the Shang dynasty more than 3,000 years ago.
This occasion was originally created to celebrate harvest on the autumn full moon in the ancient days. As time evolves, it is now an important day for friends and families to gather as a symbol of harmony and unity.
The Mid-Autumn festival is one of the major holidays celebrated in China along with the Lunar New Year and Labour Day. There will be three days of public holiday for this festival in China. However, in Singapore, this day is not a gazetted public holiday.
When is Mid-Autumn Festival 2022 in Singapore
Mid-Autumn Festival traditionally falls on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Chinese Lunar calendar. In 2022, it falls on 10 September 2022 (Saturday).
Things to do to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival 2022 in Singapore
The Mid-Autumn Festival celebration in Singapore is never complete without lanterns and mooncakes. That’s why it is also known as Lantern Festival or Mooncake Festival.
There will be numerous lantern displays all around the city-state for photo-taking. Families with kids will gather in the park to carry lighted lanterns while consuming mooncakes and Chinese tea.
We have curated a list of things you can do with your friends, families, and loved ones this Mid-Autumn Festival 2022:
Lantern displays & festive activities during Mooncake Festival 2022
Starting from two weeks before Mid-Autumn Festival each year, lantern displays will be set up at various prominent locations across Singapore by governments or private companies.
Admission may be free or ticketed, depending on the location.
Visiting lantern displays is a must-do activity for Singaporeans, local residents, or tourists celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival.
The displays differ from year to year and will incorporate both traditional and creative elements. Apart from the displays, there will also be cultural games and activities, lantern riddles, and performances associated with the mooncake festival. The following are the three major lantern displays in Singapore this year:
- Date: 25 August – 18 September 2022
- Time: 7:00pm – 11:00pm (workshops start from 4pm)
- Venue: Jurong Lake Gardens
- Address: Yuan Ching Road [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Lakeside (EW26) – 1.7km or 21-minute walk
Photos via National Parks Board / Website
Other Mooncake Festival Activities at Jurong Lake Gardens
- Lantern Riddles
- Mid-Autumn Special: Dragonboat Try-Outs
- Arts@JLG: Music under the Moonlight 2022
- Bazaar in the Garden (Mid-Autumn Festival Edition)
- Craft sessions by Coastal Natives
- Workout by ActiveSG @ Jurong Lake Gardens 2022
- Adopt a Lantern
- Date: 26 August – 10 September 2022
- Time: 7:00pm – 12:00am
- Venue: Chinatown
- Address: Eu Tong Sen Street / North Bridge Road [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Chinatown (DT19/NE4)
Photos via ChinatownFestivals.sg / Website
Other Mooncake Festival Activities in Chinatown
- Food fair (Pasar Malam) at Chinatown Food Street
- Home and personal items fair (Pasar Malam) beside OG People’s Park
- Chinese cultural performances at Kreta Ayer Square
- Lantern painting competition
- Date: 27 August – 11 September 2022
- Time: 7:00pm – 10:00pm
- Venue: Gardens by the Bay
- Address: 18 Marina Gardens Drive, Singapore 018953 [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Bayfront (CE1/DT16)
Photos via Gardens by the Bay / Website
Other Mooncake Festival Activities in Gardens by the Bay
- Stage Performances (Drumming, Chinese dances, Chinese opera, Musical ensemble)
- A Date Under The Stars (3 hour Mandopop and Singapore folks song concert – Mandarin)
- LED Diabolo & Twirling Acts
- Marketplace (Regional food fair & festive souvenirs)
- Korean Craft Making workshops
- Lantern Giveaway
- Get Crafty! – Nature’s Mid-Autumn Greeting Card Activity by Whitetree
- Free admission to Flower Dome for kids below 12 years old
Festive activities & cultural performances during Mooncake Festival 2022
Watch out for a series of contemporary and cultural performances organised by various governmental and social groups on this special day!
The activities include traditional performances like Chinese opera, Chinese puppet shows, Chinese orchestra music, and contemporary performances like Getai, theatre plays, and modern dances. Other than activities specially organised for the festival, there is also an ASEAN music festival that coincides with this day.
These are the activities you may consider participating in this Moon Festival:
- Date: 9 September – 11 September 2022
- Venue: Esplanade
- Address: 1 Esplanade Drive, Singapore 038981 [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Esplanade (CC3)
Photos via Esplanade / Website
Featured Contemporary and Cultural Activities at Esplanade
- Lantern Riddles
- Chinese Puppet Show
- Melodies of the Moon (Chinese ensemble)
- Dancing in Rhythms (Contemporary dances)
- Where is the Moon? (Theatre performance)
- Laugh Out Loud: A Crosstalk Showcase (Chinese talk show 相声)
- Lantern walkabout
- Cantonese & Teochew opera performances
- WonderFULL Getai Night 歌台
- Description: Gather loved ones for an enchanting evening of moongazing under the stars with the exclusive Mid-Autumn Celebration with Mooncakes at SkyPark Observation Deck.
- Date: 8 September – 10 September 2022
- Venue: Marina Bay Sands Singapore
- Address: 10 Bayfront Avenue, Singapore 018956 [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Bayfront (CE1/DT16)
- Ticket Price: (2 Adults + 2 Children) SGD 122
Photos via Klook / Website
- 1 box of premium edition of classic mooncakes
- 2 adults & 2 children SkyPark Observation Deck admission tickets
- 2 Klook lanterns
Other than getting to gaze at the moon up-close from MBS Observation Deck, the lily ponds at the ArtScience Museum in the compound will also see 500 lanterns lighted up from 7 – 11 September 2022 to celebrate the occasion. Remember to get your family for a photo-op before you end the day!
- Description: Chinese orchestra performance of popular tunes from K-POP, K-Drama, to movies and television series
- Date: 9 September – 10 September 2022
- Time: 7:30pm – 8:30pm
- Venue: VivoCity
- Address: 1 HarbourFront Walk, Singapore 098585 [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Harbourfront (CC29/NE1)
- Ticket Price: (Adult) SGD 4 (Child) SGD 3
- Description: 38 artists and music groups from Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, India, and Taiwan will gather at Haw Paw Villa to perform over the 2-day music festival.
- Date: 10 September – 11 September 2022
- Time: 3:00pm – 10:00pm
- Venue: Haw Par Villa
- Address: 262 Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore 118628 [Map]
- Nearest MRT station: Haw Par Villa (CC25)
- Ticket Price: (Single Day Ticket) SGD 25 – 35
Mooncake Promotions for Mid-Autumn Festival 2022
Eating mooncakes and sipping a cup of Chinese tea while admiring the full moon is a traditional activity that we cannot do without during Mid-Autumn Festival.
As such, it has become a norm for friends, colleagues, and business partners to gift mooncakes to one another to celebrate this occasion.
To save you time searching on where to buy mooncakes, we have shortlisted a list of traditional, vegetarian and halal mooncakes on offer below for your reference:
- Handcrafted Mid-Autumn Mooncake (Free Delivery) – S$42.80
- White Lotus Baked Mooncakes (4 pieces) – S$55.05
- White Lotus with Single Yolk Baked Mooncakes (4 pieces) – S$58.25
- Classic Mixed Nuts Baked Mooncakes (4 pieces) – S$60.65
- Popular Classic Mixed Collection (4 pieces) – S$60.65
- 8IGHT Mini Snowskin Collection (8 pieces) – S$61.45
- White Lotus with Double Yolks Baked Mooncakes (4 pieces) – S$62.25
- Bird’s Nest with Oolong Tea Mini Snowskin Mooncakes (8 pieces) – S$87.05
- Piglet Mooncake with Green Bean Paste (Vegetarian) – S$10.20
- Flaky Teochew Black Bean Paste Mooncake (Vegetarian) – S$56.10
- Flaky Teochew “Orh Nee” Yam Paste Mooncake (Vegetarian) – S$57.80
- Teochew Four Treasure Box Mooncake – S$57.80
- Flaky Teochew Black Bean Paste with Single Yolk Mooncake – S$62.05
- Flaky Teochew “Orh Nee” Yam Paste with Single Yolk Mooncake – S$63.75
- Teochew Double Happiness Mooncake Set (Vegetarian) – S$107.20
- Teochew Eight Treasure Mooncake Set – S$108.80
- Teochew Double Happiness Mooncake Set – S$118.40
- Low Sugar White Lotus Seed Paste with Macadamia Nuts (4 pieces) – S$61.50
- Snow Skin Mooncake: Signature Tea Treasure (4 pieces) – S$73.50
- InterContinental Negroni Truffle Snow Skin Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$126.00
Photos via Klook / Website
- Mooncake Medley – S$62.10
- Buy 5 Free 1 for any mooncake sets – S$310.50
- Assorted Snowskin Mooncakes (8 Pieces) – S$64.00
- White Lotus Seed Paste Baked Mooncakes with Macadamia Nuts (4 Pieces) – S$64.00
- White Lotus Seed Paste with Double Yolk (4 Pieces) – S$70.40
- White Lotus Seed Paste Baked Mooncakes with Single Yolk (4 Pieces) – S$67.20
- Lychee with Wolfberries Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$68.20
- Single Yolk with White Lotus Paste Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$68.20
- Signature Charcoal Black Sesame Paste with Melon Seeds and Gold Dust Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$70.60
- Double Yolk with White Lotus Paste Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$70.60
- Delightful Four Mooncake (4 pieces) – S$70.60
Apart from buying mooncakes online, Takashimaya Shopping Centre is also holding a Mooncake Fair until 10 September 2022 at its Food Hall. Over 60 international and local brands of mooncakes are all gathered at one place for your selection.